Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Oil Pastel Drawing

For our family, art is an important part of our children's home education. We try to make a focused effort to allow the kids chances to be creative with various kinds of art materials. Sometimes I get stressed out by the mess, though Tom can be quite the good sport, even taking the initiative to set up splatter painting for the kids.

Millie received some oil pastels as a birthday present a few months ago, and the kids have been so enthralled by the texture and rich color they can achieve when coloring with them. I saw a little art assignment for oil pastels (on a blog, though I can't remember where!), and it was very simple and easy to implement. Millie really enjoyed the process and we were both pleased with the outcome.

First, you need oil pastels. Easy to find at any craft store.


Then some quality drawing paper, also available at craft stores.
Other materials needed are a pencil and some q-tips.

The method is very simple. Start by drawing a picture with the pencil, then color it in with the oil pastels. Once your drawing is colored, you can use the q-tips to smooth out the colors. You're not necessarily trying to blend the different colors, but just give the colors on the paper a more solid look and finish.
Millie did the whole project without my help, though if I'd been nearby, I might have encouraged her to outline all the pencil lines in brown or black. I might have also suggested that she color the background. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't have the chance to meddle with her picture! I really love the curly pumpkin vine. I asked her what the "PP in the upper corner meant. Her answer was, "prize pumpkin". Of course!

This post is linked to:
Thirsty Thursday
Blog Widget by LinkWithin