Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Freezer Cooking, Day 1

I feel good about all that I accomplished in the kitchen today! I was a little concerned about how much I would be able to do with the kids running around, but I was encouraged to read this post about cooking with kids, and used several of the ideas mentioned. Millie and Silas stayed busy for most of the morning either just playing together or listening to Magic Treehouse audiobooks. I did take the time in the morning to pack a lunch for each of them. At first I wasn't sure it was necessary, but it was very nice when lunchtime rolled around and I didn't have to shift gears to fix their lunch. Today's cooking required quite a bit of garlic, so I did enlist the kids' help with peeling the garlic. They each used a can to crush the garlic cloves first, which helps the skins come off easily.
And this is basically what Isaac did most of the morning:

But this is supposed to be about the food! Here's what I made:
hummus - 5 batches
cooked chickpeas - 4 (2-cup) containers
cooked black beans - 5 (2-cup) containers
bean burgers - double batch
spinach pie - double batch
rice and beans

And here's my mess!!
I'm planning to finish up and do a bit more cooking tomorrow. Here's my list:
No Hurry Vegetable Curry in the crockpot for supper
Vegetarian chili - triple batch
cook kidney beans
cook white beans
zucchini bread (still a maybe!)

That's it for now, but I am hoping to post some recipes soon!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin