6:42 am
Half an hour ago the baby stirred next to me, so I nursed him back to sleep. But I am still awake. Even as I shifted and scooched to give the other sleeping bodies space, hoping to keep everyone asleep, my mind was immediately up and running, with all there is to do today. The morning routine of breakfast and dishes, the spaces that will need to be cleaned and cleared today, the meals to prepare, the plans to confirm.
I wish to return to sleep, though the first light begins to seep through the closed blinds. There is that familiar sense of resignation - not enough hours in the day, too much for one person, I cannot do it all.
And then I hear quick footsteps stutter down the hall. Swiftly and quietly Millie is in our room and nearly instantly snuggled next to Tom. "I was scared," I hear her whisper. And I'm so glad we're here. She knows where to run to - a strong daddy that will keep her safe. I have my two little boys sleeping next to me, cuddled up against each other.
It's because of them that I have so much to do. I'm so glad we're here.
This post is linked to Heavenly Homemakers.