Today and tomorrow I'm taking part in the Freezer Cooking/Baking Day hosted by
MoneySavingMom and
LifeasMom. I have done this sort of thing in the past; before Silas was born I spent a whole day fixing a month's worth of meals. And while it was nice not to have to do much cooking for a month, it can be hard to find a whole day for me to set aside to cook, so I haven't done much freezer cooking since then. I do "feed the freezer" from time to time, usually by cooking large batches of bulk beans and freezing them in 2-cup portions. But I've been newly inspired to give freezer cooking another try due to our recent lunch dilemma. As our family has grown, I've found that the normal evening meals I prepare aren't leaving us with as many leftovers as they used to, so I need to make some better plans for lunches, especially for Tom. So, over the next couple of days, I'm planning to prepare some things that Tom can take with him for lunch. Here's what I have in mind:
hummus
rice and beans (for burritos)
sweet potato burritos
vegetarian chili
bean burgers
popeye pie (spinach pie)
maybe some muffins, depending on how much I accomplish!
I'll blog my progress from both days. Also, you can follow the fun on twitter (with the #bakingday hashtag) to see what others are cooking and baking too.