This post is linked to:
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Crayon Melting
This is my kind of kid-friendly craft project. No need to run out and buy any special materials. The kids can easily help and do so happily and independently for quite some time. There's a definite "cool" factor, and the finished product will keep the kids busy.
Recently we sorted through our crayons and found all the ones that were broken. The kids helped peel off the paper and break the crayons into even smaller pieces, then I let them each sort crayons into silicone muffin tins. We baked these in a 150 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Then I let the kids give the melted crayons a very slight stir with a wooden skewer. In no time we had "new" crayons.
I think the kids really liked the larger surface area to grip while coloring, and had so much fun just coloring to see what kind of color variations would show up on the paper.
My kind of craft!