Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Why Homebirth?

I've been asked by several people recently why we are planning to have this baby at home. And I have really appreciated that these queries have been the genuine, curious sort, rather than the incredulous, why-would-you-do-something-so-crazy variety.

I can start by telling you what propelled me to pursue a homebirth with Silas. While Millie's birth in a hospital was absolutely fine (it was the natural, intervention-free and drug-free birth I had hoped for), there were still some unpleasant things that stood out in my mind: the feeling of being a "watched pot" waiting to boil as I paced around the small hospital room all day, and the crowd of random nurses watching while I pushed.

So when I planned for Silas' birth I started looking into the option of birthing at home, and the more I researched, the more I felt like it was the right choice for us. I think the biggest factor for me is the idea that a woman simply labors differently at home than at a hospital. And by differently, I mean that labor tends to be less painful because the woman is more comfortable and less inhibited in her home environment. The following passage from Birthing From Within (page 203), explains it especially well:

"To begin with, a mother's activity is not restricted at home. Being upright and active significantly decreases the intensity of pain and may shorten the length of labor. Even though some nurses may encourage walking in the hospital, women often are inhibited or feel restricted by being strapped to a monitor, tied to an IV pole, or limited to pacing in a small room or public hall.

Being confined to a small room can make it seem like pain is filling your whole world. So another advantage a home-birth mother has in dealing with pain is easy accessibility to the outdoors and nature: trees, clouds, stars or a flower garden are natural distractions during contractions. Feeling cool raindrops or snowflakes, or hearing the singing of birds or the whisper of the wind, are gentle reminders of her connection with nature.

Birthing in privacy, on their own turf, reduces mothers' inhibitions and increases their sense of autonomy. They then feel less self-conscious about doing whatever they need to do...The resulting sense of freedom and spontaneity actually facilitates the normal physiological unfolding of labor."

Now that I've experienced giving birth at home, I can't imagine ever planning to birth in a hospital. I appreciate that medical technology is available for the rare complication that may arise, but for me I feel most comfortable and confident letting the birth process unfold as naturally as possible.

Every mother has to decide for herself where she will be most comfortable giving birth, and I think an important step in that process is doing the reading and research and being well-informed. For a more thorough examination of the issues surrounding homebirth, I highly recommend Ricki Lake's recent documentary, The Business of Being Born.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin