Friday, August 8, 2008

Quinoa Salad



Pictured above are the veggies I roasted for one of our favorite dishes, quinoa salad. I modified my usual recipe so that I could incorporate some of our summer produce. Swapped out the brussel sprouts and cauliflower for zucchini from our garden and some broccoli from the farmer's market. I love this recipe because it gets us eating some vegetables that we wouldn't usually eat, and with the variety it seems like there's something everyone likes. Silas totally goes for the beets, and Millie likes the beets and the cauliflower (this time broccoli). Tom loves anything with quinoa. So here's the recipe in its original form. You can change out the veggies if you want based on what's available. But don't be scared off if you don't especially like brussel sprouts or beets. I'd say give them a try at least once; you might be surprised at how nicely the combination comes together.

Quinoa Salad


Combine:
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 cups vegetable stock
Simmer for 25 minutes

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Combine:
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced into rings
1 sweet potato, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 beet, cut into 1-inch cubes
5 brussel sprouts, cut into quarters
1 cup cauliflower florets

Whisk together:
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons soy sauce
black pepper, to taste

Coat veggies with olive oil mixture, then drain. Spread out vegetables on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until tender. Toss vegetables together with quinoa.

That's it! I've recently started doubling this recipe for our family of four, as it's often a main dish for us.

This post is linked to:
Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom
Blog Widget by LinkWithin