When cold weather inevitably keeps us indoors more the children just beg for stories. And while I do wish that I could read to them for hours on end, there is a limit to just how much I am able to read while still keeping house and caring for a baby. So audiobooks have been a real sanity saver. We've listened to quite a few over the past couple of years, but I'd have to say that my all-time favorite, and one that Millie has especially enjoyed as well, has been the Ramona books written by Beverly Cleary.
I think I am so endeared to Ramona because she is portrayed as a spirited, energetic girl (reminds me of a little girl I know!), but somehow Cleary is able to give us a glimpse into her mind so that we have a real understanding and empathy for her. Stockard Channing reads all the books in the series, and I think I love her performance just as much as the books themselves.
We've been able to check these out from the library, and I'd have to say that listening with your children to Ramona's various funny mishaps and predicaments is a really lovely way to spend an afternoon.