"It is always possible to be thankful for what is given rather than to complain about what is not given. One or the other becomes a habit of life."
-- Elisabeth Elliot
So often we are not thankful because we let life's troubles overshadow the many daily blessings we encounter. Worry, fear, and stress can easily take our focus. The pace of life keeps us moving too quickly, even thoughtlessly, from one thing to the next, and we forget to pause for a moment to breathe in and simply experience life and the gift of the moment we are in.
I want thankfulness to be the habit of my life. Not just this week, though I do love that as a nation we take a day to recognize the importance of being grateful. But I want to be able to daily see the blessing of my daughter's laughter and my new baby's fuzzy head. I hope I will stop and savor the joy in watching my husband wrestle with our son in the evenings. This is the simple stuff of life, the immeasurable gifts we've been given.
And even more, the gifts of grace, peace, and forgiveness. In everything, give thanks.
Visit Heavenly Homemakers for more Gratituesday thoughts.