But if you've never done any gardening, getting started can be a little overwhelming. I think the typical advice to start small is certainly a good plan for most people. We started very small our first year. Our second baby was born that spring, so I knew that I wouldn't be devoting much time to watering or pulling weeds. But even a small garden allowed me to start learning and gaining some experience with growing our own food.
This was our very first attempt, in a little corner of our yard. Just a couple of tomato plants, some basil, and also some zinnias and marigolds. Oh, and I can't forget the sunflower. Those two tomato plants yielded as many tomatoes as we wanted for over a month, so I considered it a success.
The next summer we expanded and put three 4x4 foot garden boxes out to the side of our house. This photo was taken in early spring, when we mostly just had lettuce, and the other vegetables were just getting started.
Then the third year we expanded those three boxes. We added an additional 8 feet to each one, so that we had three 4x12 foot boxes, and room to grow all sorts of things!
So that's just a peek at our gardening adventures the past 3 years. I need to buckle down and get my seeds ordered for this coming spring. And I hope to start posting some more about gardening since all the thinking and planning will soon be reality!