Since several people wanted to know exactly how I plan to get all those seeds going, I thought I'd go ahead and answer with a post. We do start some of our seeds indoors. We're far enough north that it's really nice to get a jump on the growing season, and it's a necessity with things like tomatoes and bell peppers. I am planning to take pictures of our little indoor set-up, so when we start that in a few weeks I'll be sure to share them with you all! Then of course we also direct-seed quite a few things as well, and we'll begin that just as soon as things start to thaw out a bit.
Now, my ever so talented friend Sara asked a great question: "I am wondering why you order seeds and don't buy them from the store." My short answer is biodiversity. But the longer answer has something to do with embracing our amazing garden heritage by purchasing heirloom seeds that might otherwise face extinction, and something else to do with rebelling against the mega-corporations that control nearly the entire U.S. seed supply. And if you'd like to know more, this article gives a very good explanation of some of those issues.
I'll admit that I've bought my fair share of seeds from retails stores. Either because I forgot to order some oregano or because my word who wouldn't want to pay just 10 cents for a packet of radish seeds?! Of course it's great to use heirloom seeds, but just getting out there and planting something is a great thing too!