Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cloth Diaper Show-and-Tell

I've used cloth diapers with all three of my kids, starting when my oldest was about a year old. Though it can be a little confusing at first, using cloth diapers is not difficult! And I love the benefits of saving money and keeping my baby's bottom out of the chemicals present in disposable diapers.

I thought I'd show you some of the diapers that have worked for us, modeled by my sweet baby Isaac. He is almost 5 months old and probably weighs at least 17 pounds. Ready, Isaac?


But first, let me show you the three types of diapers we're using right now. Pictured here is a fitted diaper and a cover, an all-in-one diaper, and a pocket diaper:


We'll start with the fitted diaper as that's what we use most of the time. The best thing about these fitted diapers is that they absolutely contain messes. No blow outs, ever. This particular brand is called Blue Dog, and it's quite inexpensive, but also hard to find. The site I bought mine at no longer sells them, but I did a quick search and found them here. These have a velcro closure which makes putting them on very easy.





Then the waterproof cover just fits right over. You just have to make sure the diaper doesn't peek out anywhere so that you don't have any leaks.


This particular cover is a Bummis Super Whisper wrap, which I really like.


As you can see, this diaper and cover are a bit bulky. I know a lot of people going from disposables to cloth don't like the extra bulk, but you do get used to it.



Next up , here's a Bumkins all-in-one diaper, which has the diaper piece attached to the cover.


This is probably the easiest, quickest option available. This diaper also uses a velcro closure. Very daddy-friendly.


They do have a slightly trimmer fit. And they're cute.

Finally, the pocket diaper. I mainly use these at night, though I know some people use them exclusively. This is a FuzziBunz, which I've found is a great, durable diaper. The snaps hold up really well, unlike velcro closures which can wear out after a while. The great thing about pocket diapers is that the part next to baby's skin is a "stay-dry" material, so they keep baby dry. And you can stuff more than one insert inside for extra absorbency, which makes them excellent for nighttime use.


Here's the extra-absorbent microfiber insert that you put inside.


You just slip it into the pocket here.


The snaps may look a little confusing at first, but the benefit is that they hold up really well over the life of the diaper.

Right now these are a little bulky on Isaac. But this particular size and brand will fit him until he's two.



Okay, that's all for us. Looks like Isaac is ready to go play!

These diapers have worked out well for us, but there are many, many other brands and styles of diapers out there. And every baby is different, so sometimes it takes some trial and error to find a good fit. If you want to take the plunge into cloth diapering, a site like Diaper Pin has lots of reviews, so it's a good place to do a little research.

Cloth diapering works great for us! For more Works for Me Wednesday, visit Rocks in My Dryer. Have a fabulous day!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin