Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Reasons to be Outside

Modern life in America makes it easy to be indoors most of the time. Our homes are so comfortable that sometimes we need some motivator to get outdoors. I've found that gardening and hanging out laundry both give me a good reason to step outside in the course of the day.

I came across the following quote, which I think expresses this idea exceptionally well, from a wonderful book I've been reading, Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life.

"Hanging out the wash can be one small way to begin living in response to and in cooperation with the natural world, receiving both rain and sun as gifts from the God who made both us and our world."

I couldn't agree more. I find that I can be truly thankful for the hot, sunny days when I'm able to put clothes on the line. And I can also rejoice with the soaking rain that brings growth in the garden.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin