Saturday, July 26, 2008

Knitting with Little Ones



When I turned 30 this past spring, my gift to myself was to learn how to knit. With the fabulous videos at Knitting Help and some over-the-phone encouragement from my sister, I did indeed learn all the knitting basics. I made a couple of practice projects, then got frustrated working on a market bag so I haven't knit in a while. But during all my practicing Millie was watching and it wasn't long before she wanted to learn too. I knew how tricky it had been to get my own fingers to cooperate with this new skill, so I was a little hesitant to attempt teaching a 4-year-old. But Millie's persistence won out, and I let her pick out her own set of knitting needles and some yarn.

As expected, she didn't get very far with knitting. But it was an overall fun learning process, and she loved reciting a little poem to teach her the basic knit stitch:

Under the fence
Catch the sheep
Back we go
Off we leap


Millie was thrilled just to learn the poem, actually! And it really did help her along. I am looking forward to her gaining some manual dexterity and trying again in a couple of years.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin