I mentioned last week that I've given birth in a few different situations. At this point I'm most comfortable giving birth with a midwife in a homebirth setting. Here's why:
1. Relationship - I've been to her home, she's been to mine. Check-ups are never rushed, and through the course of our visits we've gotten to know about one another and our families. It's so reassuring to have a personal relationship with a care provider that I know and trust.
2. Continuity of care - I like knowing exactly who is going to be at my birth, and that my midwife knows me and and my history. Birth is a very intimate, intense time, and it makes me more comfortable to know there won't be total strangers witnessing me giving birth.
3. Home visits - we've had our midwife come to our home for several of our prenatal check-ups. It's so nice to do those visits in the comfort of our home - no waiting rooms.
4. Focus on prevention - I've found that my midwife puts a specific emphasis on preventing problems in the first place. She's serious about helping me to give birth at home with minimal problems, so she has specific recommendations for preventing things like tearing or postpartum hemorrhage.
5. Knowledge of alternative medicine - my midwife recommends specific herbs throughout pregnancy, and has resources relating to herbs and homeopathy. This is very much in line with my desire to take a natural approach to health.
6. Resources beyond birth - we've learned lots from our midwife about topics beyond birth, as our conversations naturally touch on things like homeschooling, natural living, and family life.
7. Emotional and spiritual support - there's the recognition that birth isn't just a physical act - that there's an emotional and spiritual component to it as well. Our midwife has certainly been able to provide support and counsel in those areas, whether through prayer, scripture, or just the general respect of the emotions associated with preparing for labor.
8. Low c-section rate - maybe obvious, but when you consider that the current c-section rate for a typical hospital in the U.S. hovers around 33%, there's something to be said for choosing a provider that has a track record for preventing c-sections.
9. More autonomy and control for the mother - when it comes to giving birth, I like knowing I can do whatever makes me most comfortable, such as moving around during labor, etc.
10. Genuine empathy - most midwives have experienced a natural labor and delivery, and can truly empathize with a woman in labor. Our midwife is a mother of six. There's something comforting and reassuring about being supported by someone who has walked the same difficult path.
**I realize that some of these positive things can be found with a hospital-based care provider. These are simply the benefits I've found in my current situation working with a direct-entry midwife.
Linked to:
Top Ten Tuesday
Works for Me Wednesday