Wednesday, June 9, 2010

In the Garden ~ Early June

 Main garden boxes
 First year for fruit on our mulberry tree

I knew this would happen - I'm wishing we had done more, earlier, in the garden. We could have been harvesting lettuce several weeks ago, but we'll just be having our first home-grown salad this week. Better late than never, I suppose. Other happenings:

Radishes ~ Millie picked a bunch to make some radish snacks. I'm planning to use the next bunch we harvest to try out roasted radishes.

 Strawberries ~ We've been harvesting a bowlful from our little patch each morning, and we enjoy these for a morning snack. It makes my heart happy to see these sweet red treats glittering in the garden.
Potatoes ~ Just beginning to flower.  Unfortunately, I planted most of them in a spot that is proving to be too crowded and shady, thanks to the increased growth of a 3-year-old mulberry tree. Learned my lesson there.
 Lettuce ~ Not as much coming up as I'd like. But we'll have enough for some salad this week. Love getting to grow such pretty varieties.
Garlic scapes ~ I'm excited about these. We first sampled garlic scapes through our CSA a couple of summers ago. I looked for them at some farmer's markets last summer, with no luck. So I'm happy to be growing my own!

Everything else is coming along quite nicely, thanks to some good rain, and also some sunny warm days. I may not be able to blame the weather for any gardening mishaps this year!


This post is linked to:
5 Dollar Dinners
Good Life Eats
Blog Widget by LinkWithin