Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cool and Creamy

I'm on quite the popsicle kick here. The kids will more readily run out into the backyard on a hot afternoon if I send them out with a cool treat. And when it's homemade and healthy, that's all the better.
I found this recipe for Orange Chia Popsicles, and changed it up ever so slightly. Here's my version:

1/2 cup frozen 100% orange juice concentrate, slightly defrosted
4 tbsp chia seeds
2 oranges, peeled and chopped
1 cup plain yogurt
4 dates
2 tsp vanilla (optional)

Place orange juice in mixing bowl, and mix together with seeds. Let sit 15 minutes. The chia seeds will start to gel, and the mixture will thicken.


Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a blender and blend well. Add chia mixture and blend to combine. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze.

We went ahead and made these popsicles with the yogurt, but I'm sure you could substitute any milk of your choosing.

And if you're looking for a chocolate fix, you have to make these fudgesicles.
So creamy and so good. And if you don't have a high-powered blender, you might consider soaking the cashews overnight before you make them.

Also, while I know there are lots of great popsicle molds out there to purchase, I've been making ours old-school with little paper cups and wooden popsicle sticks. This way I can make a big batch all at one time, and it saves me extra dish washing.  A little tip if you do it that way: put a slice of banana in the bottom of each cup, then stick the popsicle stick into the banana after filling the cups, that way it will stand up.

This post is linked to:
Life as Mom
Blog Widget by LinkWithin