Monday, March 15, 2010

An Update of Sorts


I think a strange thing about being home with small children all day is that I end my day really unsure about what I did all day. I mean, I know what I was doing, but it's hard to articulate to myself if I actually accomplished anything. It's just all the same things - the cooking, cleaning up, fixing snacks, breaking up squabbles, changing diapers, nursing the baby, doing laundry, picking up clutter, reading to the kids, and on and on. This is not at all a complaint. I am beyond thankful that I have healthy children, and that I get to spend my days caring for them and teaching them. But at the end of the week I still have this nagging feeling that we weren't really busy, so why was I so busy, and so exhausted at the end of each day?

So I guess that's why another week has gone by and I haven't managed to type up my meal plan. This week I do have a partial plan - Millie made a long list of all the dishes she wanted to make from the book Salad People. So I scheduled those in, though I'm still unsure of what I'm making to round out the meals in the evenings. Tonight I pulled together a new recipe for quinoa salad, with a yummy cilantro-lime dressing. There are times when not having a meal plan is a good thing, like when it forces me to think outside my normal recipes and try a new dish.

But enough rambling, what I actually wanted to update about is my pregnancy. I'm 20 weeks now, which really snuck up on me. Last week I was trying to remember if I was at 18 weeks yet, and when I calculated it, I was at 19 weeks, 4 days. That was a nice surprise! We had our first appointment with our midwife on Saturday. It was good visit, and overall everything looks great. The only not-so-good thing is that apparently the abdominal separation (diastasis recti) that occurred from my last pregnancy didn't ever heal. My midwife wasn't overly concerned at this point - she said the separation isn't too much right now. But it is something for me to be aware of; I need to be doing my pelvic tilts and I've already started wearing a support belt all day to help prevent any further separation. And I'm not supposed to be doing any heavy lifting, which includes Isaac. As any mom of a toddler knows, that's a tough one. But otherwise, everything with baby looks great! It's still hard to believe that I'm halfway through.

This post is linked to:
Steady Mom
Blog Widget by LinkWithin