Sunday, March 21, 2010

Menu Plan - Week of March 22

The last day of winter was beautiful - sunny and warm and perfect for an afternoon at the park. The first day of spring greeted us with snow falling for most of the morning. But still, spring is officially here, and we enjoyed the lovely days during the week leading up to it. I'm still tempted to feel like I did "nothing" all week. But now that I think about it, we did actually accomplish some good things at our house, even with getting slowed down by yet another round of colds.

Millie made most of the dishes she had hoped to make from Salad People. Even though this involved more prep and clean-up on my part, she loves getting to follow a recipe all on her own, and I feel like it's a good learning experience for her. I did some good house-cleaning this week. Not my favorite thing, but necessary. And I also got around to sorting and organizing the boys' clothes. It was time to go through all the bins of clothes and put away outgrown clothes and hunt for some things in the next size up. With Silas coming up on 4, and Isaac at 18 months, this meant getting out nearly ALL the boys' clothing bins. I was feeling a little overwhelmed by the process, but then Tom reminded me that it's no more time-consuming than going out and going shopping. And since we have lots of hand-me-downs, it's also essentially free, so I truly can't complain. The last thing we conquered this week was getting our way-behind-schedule seeds started indoors. To keep things easy, I'm only doing tomatoes, peppers and eggplant indoors. Everything else will be direct-seeded outside. And even though I'll be hugely pregnant, I am hoping for some good hot weather this summer so that everything will actually grow!

So, my menu planning was sorely lacking this month. This was pretty disappointing after such a good month in February. I think part of the issue was some boredom with all the typical winter dishes we've been eating for the past few months. I hit a point this month where I was DONE with soup, but I've still been waiting for asparagus to go on sale (I found some at a good price today!). So I guess I'm feeling a little in-between seasons in the culinary sense. That said, here's what I have planned for this week:

vegetable pot pie, carrot salad
bean burgers, asparagus
baked tofu, cooked greens, brown rice
rice and beans
veggie pizza

We're planning to eat out at the end of the week for my birthday - yay! My only other big plans for the week include some homeschool research/planning. This is actually what I really wanted to do this past week, and I'm glad I got some of the other stuff on my to-do list out of the way so that I can get moving on this. Hope you have a great week!

This post is linked to:
Organizing Junkie
Blog Widget by LinkWithin