Monday, March 1, 2010

Hello, March!

I think I've been in hibernation mode since the beginning of January. Seriously, it's been cold and dreary and it seems like we've just been dealing with one cold virus after another. We've pretty much been staying inside, and I honestly haven't looked ahead at the calendar much at all. I've just been taking life a day at a time.

But now it's a new month, and I'm ready to start thinking and planning ahead. Winter can't last forever! Here's my list of things to look forward to in March:

1. Starting seeds. It's time! This is something I dread and happily anticipate all at the same time. Those little seedlings need some TLC, and each spring it's like I have another baby to care for. But the summer veggies are so worth it, so once again I'll have a laundry room full of seed trays soon.

2. Begin homeschool planning. Or thinking about homeschooling planning. The pre-planning stage of planning, something like that. But seriously, with a baby due in August, I feel like I'm working with a deadline. I'd like to sit down and plan out our year in June or July, and I'd like to have materials in hand when I do that. So, that means I need to start thinking now about materials for next year.

3. Visit with our midwife this month! Our first official check-up with this pregnancy.

4. Related to that, I'm thinking at the end of this month we'll try to do an ultrasound to find out if we're having a boy or a girl. We didn't do this with our last two pregnancies, not necessarily because I wanted to wait, but mainly because ultrasound just wasn't a standard practice with our care providers. This time around it would be really nice to be able to plan ahead, and really nice for the older kids to be able to call the baby by his or her name.

5. We're still in for mostly cold days this month, so I'm planning on a trip to the roller skating rink with the kids (oh, the nostalgia!), and maybe even a first-time trip to try out ice skating.

6. Can't forget to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with something green. Last year we had these green smoothies. This year maybe we'll have some green pancakes.
Finely chop a cup of fresh spinach in your food processor, then mix into your favorite pancake batter and cook as usual. Spinach is mild enough that seriously, you will hardly taste it. But it gives a lovely green hue, and you won't have to use any food coloring!

7. Maple tapping. We attended a maple sugaring demonstration last year, so whether we go again this year will probably depend on the weather. But it's a fun, fascinating reason to get outside.

8. First day of spring! Too bad it probably won't feel very spring-like here, but it's still fun to celebrate. I'm thinking I should plan on some sort of kid-friendly craft, wondering if this might fit the bill.

9. New month, new craft budget! I'm going to get some watercolor supplies for the kids and see what sort of artwork we can come up with.

10. My birthday is at the end of the month. 32 this year. No big plans, but I'll probably take the day off from the kitchen, so eating out will definitely be part of the celebration.

Do you have any fun plans for this month?


This post is linked to:
Top Ten Tuesday
Blog Widget by LinkWithin