
Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne - Some great food for thought here on the need to offer kids a more simple environment, involving everything from toys to clutter to schedules. Much of the information here is aimed especially at families who find themselves exceedingly busy juggling work schedules, school, and family commitments. But plenty of the ideas and suggestions apply to any family.
Simple Food for the Good Life by Helen Nearing - A cookbook, but there's a lot to read here as Nearing goes into detail about her food philosophy. Nearing spent most of her long life homesteading, and as a vegetarian and whole foods advocate, has a strong opinion about the role of food, and gives her advice on how to keep things simple and spend less time cooking.
Plenty by Alisa Smith and J.B. Mackinnon - The story of one couple's quest to eat locally for one year. If you've read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, you will appreciate another local eating adventure, but one with a very different setting and circumstances.
Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom - I saw this in the "new books" section at our library, and thought I'd grab it for a quick read. I had read Tuesdays with Morrie as part of a college course, and I figured this would be more of the same heart-wrenching type story. To a degree that's true, but there are some surprising twists, and I appreciated the conversation about faith, what pulls us away, and what eventually brings us back.
Return to the Hundred Acre Wood by David Benedictus - Alright, this wasn't exactly my reading choice for this month, though I feel compelled to mention it because it was definitely Millie's favorite book this month. It is written in the tradition of A.A. Milne, and contains a whole new collection of adventures with Pooh, Piglet, Tigger and all the rest. I don't know how the A.A. Milne purists out there feel about it, but Millie was thrilled with this set of new stories.
And my crafty reading/inspiration this month:
Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule
One-Skein Wonders, edited by Judith Durant
Hip Knit Hats by Cathy Carron
Organic Body Care Recipes by Stephanie Tourles
Doodle Stitching by Aimee Ray
Now, if only I was actually crafting as much as I'm reading about it!
What about you? What good books have you read lately?
This post is linked to