
My little babies are week old now, so it's time to show them off! Nearly everything is up except for the peppers. I'm following the planting chart in
Square Foot Gardening
, so that's how I decided what to go ahead and plant indoors. We've planted more than we have room for in the garden in order to allow for my tendency to
mess something up every year.

In addition to the tomatoes pictured above, we also started peppers, eggplant, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, swiss chard, onions, lettuce, marigolds and zinnias.
The swiss chard is a rainbow mix, and you can already see the bright colors:

I've got the covers off three out of the four trays and I've moved the lights down. The first year that I used shop lights I made the mistake of not putting the lights close enough to the plants, and I ended up with weak, scrawny seedlings. Those lights need to be only 3-6 inches above the plants, practically sitting right on top of them:

Like I said, we're still waiting for the peppers to make an appearance, but otherwise everything is looking good. Now I'll start feeding the seedlings once a week, probably some fish emulsion that I have left from last year. It's stinky, but it gets the job done. I also need to go through and thin the seedlings so that there's only one plant per cell.
This is my
green project, as part of the Little Green Project blog carnival hosted by
Heavenly Homemakers. Go check it out, and have a great weekend!