Monday, June 8, 2009

Lettuce Abounds

I think next to radishes, lettuce is next on the list of "instant gratification for gardeners". Lettuce is easy to grow and easy to eat. No need to heat up the kitchen or hunt down a recipe. Just add your favorite dressing and you're all set.

Here's our 4x4 foot box of lettuce, with spinach along the back four squares:
That's some good salad just waiting to be made! I've said it before, but I'm loving those contrasting colors. Especially that shade of pale green.

So, what else is going on in the garden?

The strawberries are getting closer to being ripe:

And I'm loving the colors of the pea blossoms. Just waiting to see what the purple pods look like.

Oh, and the kale! Mustn't forget the kale. It's still quite small, but I'm already snipping some in the mornings to put into breakfast smoothies.
(And in case you're wondering, that's red lettuce to the left of the kale, and swiss chard to the right.)

So things are coming along nicely, though a bit slow. The weather has been fairly cool and we're just needing some warmer temperatures. Come on summer!

This post is linked to
Talk About Tuesday.
A High and Noble Calling
Blog Widget by LinkWithin