For at least the past two summers I've wanted to make a garden fort for the children. I got the idea here, but with that sort of price tag, I knew we could find a way to make one on our own for much less. Once I got Tom on board, he came up with a great idea. We spent $2 on the pvc pipes, and already had the wire garden fencing on hand. To secure the pvc to the ground, Tom used rebar, which we also already had. We splurged on 2 clematis plants to get us started, which were $6 total. And I already have plenty of seeds to plant (morning glory, sweet peas, pole beans). So for less than $10 out of pocket, we have a garden fort just waiting to fill up with plants.
I'm always trying to think of ways to entice the kids to explore in our backyard. Some of my favorite books for garden inspiration:
Great Gardens for Kids
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots
Sunflower Houses : Inspiration from the Garden
(Disclosure: the above are affiliate links)
This post is linked to:
Frugal Friday