
I was so excited to see my kale come back, but how could I have forgotten that it would be going to seed? Just another reminder that it really does take years to get a good handle on certain aspects of gardening. You can read all you want, but some things just don't really sink in until you get out and experience them for yourself.

I'll plan to save the seeds from this kale, and I already have more planted. I'm still off to a slow start with gardening, so I don't have as much to report as I'd like.
I'll harden off tomato, pepper and eggplant seedlings this week, and hopefully get them planted this weekend. I have some peas coming up, along with radishes and lettuce. I finally got around to planting some more lettuce, and also kale and swiss chard. I did plant potatoes about a week ago, which is my first attempt at growing potatoes, so it will be fun to see how that goes.
My first disappointment of the year is that it seems we weren't paying attention to overnight lows, and a frost got some of our earliest strawberries. I think we'll still have strawberries, but it was still a bit heartbreaking for me to see those blackened blooms outside. And it seems our little mulberry tree also suffered from frost as well. The edges of the leaves all blackened, so now I'm wondering if we'll see any berries on it this year? Last year was the first year to have just a few berries.
The major "success" at this point is the oregano that has practically doubled in size, and is threatening to take over one of my garden boxes. I've never tried to move a plant of its size, but I think that's what we'll be attempting soon.