Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December Freezer Cooking, Day 1

Oh, I have such mixed feelings about freezer cooking! I know that any amount of cooking ahead that I'm able to do is a really good thing, but sometimes it feels like I don't have much to show for my work. Though today I was reminding myself of how challenging it can be some days just to get dinner made, so any amount of extra cooking can make the day feel chaotic. I was hoping to accomplish more, but Isaac was pretty fussy for most of the morning, and we started out the day with a still-messy house from being out of town and getting out Christmas decorations. But enough of the excuses, here's a picture of some of what I made today, half-way through getting things ready to go in the freezer:
* I cooked 2 pounds dry black beans, some of which went into rice and beans, some for tamale pie, and the rest I'll freeze in 2-cup containers
* I cooked 2 pounds of brown rice, some for rice and beans, and the rest went into the freezer
* I made one large tamale pie; we ate half for supper and I'm freezing the rest in single-serving portions
* I did not make the tortillas, but I'm wrapping the rice and beans into tortillas, and those will be for lunches.

Not pictured:
Zucchini-cranberry bread, which is in the oven right now
2 pounds chickpeas, currently simmering on the stovetop

In the plans for tomorrow:
2 pounds white beans, currently soaking, will cook tomorrow
Pita bread, my second attempt, but with a different recipe
A double batch of pizza dough, for our occasional homemade pizza night
Cookie dough, two or three different kinds

Okay, I think that's it, and now a mountain of dirty dishes awaits. I'll post tomorrow with some recipes!

See more freezer cooking plans at Money Saving Mom.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin