Friday, January 9, 2009

Tortellini Soup


A couple of winters ago I was looking for a nice soup that I could serve to company. I had in mind something with tortellini, but never found quite the recipe I was looking for, so I made up one of my own. The amounts below are definitely flexible according to your taste. Also, you can find tortellini either in the refrigerated pasta section, or check the dry pasta aisle in your grocery store as you may be able to find it there as well.

Tortellini Soup


Saute in olive oil:
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced

Then add:
28 oz. of broth (vegetable or chicken)
10 oz. frozen, chopped spinach
1 grated carrot
1 or 2 cans of chopped Italian tomatoes
1 tsp oregano or basil or Italian seasoning or whatever you prefer
salt and pepper to taste

Heat this to boiling, then reduce heat and let simmer 10-15 minutes

Meanwhile, cook tortellini separately and add to the soup just before serving.
You can serve this with fresh Parmesan cheese if you like. And for company just add a big green salad and some garlic bread and you are all set!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin