Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Making Something

In recent years I've come to appreciate the importance of the creative process in a person's life. There's just something soul-nourishing about seeing something made from start to finish. So when I ran across this quote in Keeping House, there was a resounding "amen!" within me:

One woman says, "Whenever I begin to feel entangled and trapped in necessary tasks, I hear my grandmother's voice telling me that her mother used to admonish her: 'You have to make something, Sarah Elizabeth. You shouldn't spend all your time cooking and cleaning - those things are never done. You have to make something!' "

So in the interest of making something I knit up a few dish cloths. Not necessarily exciting, but it was still gratifying to have a finished project that would provide some usefulness.

As a new knitter, these were also a way for me to simply practice knitting. I do hope to move on to bigger and better things. Perhaps a hat for me or wool longies for the baby. We'll see.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin