Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Fleece for All

This is a bit after the fact, but I still wanted to show what I made for some Christmas gifts. At my Grandma's house this year everyone brought a stocking and we all brought stocking stuffers for one another. So for 27 adults I sewed fleece neckwarmers and head bands:


I'm basically pleased with how they turned out, but I did run into a bit of a glitch along the way. Fleece material has some stretch to it in one direction, but I learned the hard way that different material has a different amount of stretch. So, after sewing some practice head bands using the blue material, I did all the cutting for all three colors using the measurements from the blue samples that Tom and I had tried on. Lo and behold, once I started sewing with the red and green material, everything was too small. And as I started examining more closely, it became clear that the blue fleece had far more stretch to it than the red or green. When I purchased the material I bought a little extra under the assumption that I would probably make some sort of mistake, so I was still able to make gifts for everyone. But I learned my lesson: when sewing with fleece, consider the stretch!

I will say, though, that I loved being able to make something to give. I did the sewing on the Saturday before Christmas. And as I sat at my sewing machine and watched the snow falling outside, I was glad to be at home and not in a crowded mall.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin